Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Coffin

My bath tub is designed in the shape of the coffin.

Everytime I head to the bathroom I just cannot stop thinking of how coffins originated. Well yes, I am very much familiar with mummified remains of ancient Greek kingdom and coffins ofcourse are as old as civlization. I remember in some John Keats poetry, was it Ode to Autumn or greecian Urn?, not sure...he has written about the Urns and my professor back in college talked about coffins when we read that poem in class.

So how do the coffin makers feel when they make it? May be this question is inappropriate at this period, now everything is mechanized for mass production. But I believed until recently coffins were made by hand. What criteria they used to choose the wood and how did they decide on the traditional shape? Because the hands are folded did they want a breadth on the top part of the coffin? They know (Obviously) they are making the coffin for a person who lived, breathed, loved, hated, thought, ate etc etc..just like any of us. Do they onlymake coffins in one size? One size that fit all?

Its very funny I get such questions, but I am sure my bath tub is shaped like a coffin. I wish I could talk to a coffin maker...

1 comment:

Its our space said...

This week has indeed been stressful ,what :)?