Friday, December 12, 2008

"Trip to India - Going home and not finding it" - Indira Anupindi

Just finished reading this book - I am still thinking of a word to label this - may be scary? no doesn't sound right. Can I say very intriguing book of a person's visit to India after five years and getting completely disillusioned? I read it. Read it as I always do, cover to cover, front to back.

The author - Indira Anupindi seems extremely matter of fact - she doesn't sit on judgement. She is just stating the facts of today's urban India. The statement is so simple that its a slap on the face for those of us who were used to a culture with decorum. The information shakes the very root of my faith in Indian culture. Being an Indian girl born and brought up with a clear, simple set of rules, instructions and faith, I am heartbroken at the unnerving reality.

I would call the portrayal of this India in the book as India in it's extreme. We have poverty, filth and hunger right at the doorsteps of posh finenesse. Its a combination of the blind faith in following the age old custom where the Indian window is stripped of colors and bangles, as well as where Urban, rich "social" Indian women (not just young mindless girls mind you, these are mothers, mother-in-laws of rich soceity) is finding peace in "gigolos". To be honest - naive that I am this is the first time I come across such a word. But apparently gigolo means the male version of prostitute. The cultural decay is shocking beyond comapare.

The poignant descriptions of how "soceity" women entertain themselves, expensive way they hold their kitty parties, even the simple Rs. 800( the most inexpensive, by Indian standards) are making me revisit my plans of eventually getting back to India for good someday. The subtlity with which she portrays the casual spending habits or today's Indians in India and today's Indians in America is so cool.

I only wish the autor had added some magnificient pictures to match her descriptions of places like Vaishnav Devi temple and Manthralaya. Some aspects apart, definitly a good read for many of us so out of touch with the latest "developments" in India - I only wish these developments are only fiction, rather than the horrid reality it seems to be.

2 comments:

Sivaram Kannan said...

hmm...My view is that culture has nothing to do with whatever you are talking about. In the world of globalization the good and evil will be everywhere. It is your choice, whether to see a good or evil in any system. If you are perspective enough, stop complaining and start think what best you can give to the next generation. For the next generation, it is you who is going to tell them what is good and what is evil.

Kavitha said...

Well reading the book I am looking at an India that is totally strange (an evolving upper crust society) from another person's point of view, who was there recently. But I do agree with you that what best I can give to the next generation! I'll try my level best to give the good at least to he next generation at home :)