Tuesday, February 17, 2009

New York - Maddison Square Gardens

We went to New York city yesterday and tasted both the ends the city is so very famous for. The elegance and creepiness. With all those awe inspiring sky scrapers, the city looks so cramped with soooooooo very well dressed people always hurrying everywhere.

But we did encounter the muggers. My basketball fan son wanted to see the Maddison square garden stadium, home to the New York knicks. So after getting out of Penn station we headed down the quiet alley towards the back of the building. lesson No: 1, in New York, never step near any where quiet. With all due respect to all the people in the world, for the color, race and country, I got terribly scared as the two men standing near the stair way (in the back entrance of Maddison Square garden) approached us. It was a quiet alley, with a huge entrance and only stairs to climb up. No way to transport a stroller. We stopped and asked my husband to take my basketball crazy boy, who was already gazing so reverently at the buildin up to show him the stadium.

With formidable grin, one of the asked, "do you want me to lift your strollers up the stairs for 20 bucks?" We were a group of 4 adults and 4 children. And my BIL is been living in the east for about 12 years now. But even he couldn't decipher the look. We said "no" politely but firmly. Nevertheless he started going near our kids. We started walking as fast as we could with pounding hearts toward the exit. My husband was half way up the stairs with my boy, he rushed down and we literally ran out. As we headed out, the men started laughing and called us back telling us "we dropped something down". Until we reached 5th avenue, none of us spoke - all terrified. I shudder to imagine the worst, but who even visit New york, please stay in busy streets. never go near an alley or any person sitting alone. It definitely is NOT safe at all. And did I mention my son never got to see the stadium close?

No comments: