Thursday, December 9, 2010

Time numbs the pain but the scar stays.

Nine years ago, today God gave us a huge lesson on loss. As young and expectant parents we had lot of dreams for our first child. Skeptical, scared and careful, treading softly on the stairs, eating exactly as the doc and books suggested, shunning coffee and anything caffenie completely, we were so excited, thrilled and happy the first few months...a little more than few.

I was on the table waiting for the ultrasound technician to tell me the baby is doing fine. I even had the courage to ask her, can you please tell me the sex of my baby? that young tecnician apparently baffled by my question and what she saw on the screen got teary eyed and called another experienced technician. I needed to use the rest room so badly. In those days they make you drink gallons of water before ultrasound, if you are pregnant. Well I asked her can I use the restroom. She said, somehting like oh can you please wait, I'll call the senior technician. And then the senior technician came. With every person near the table my husband's grip on my hand was getting tighter and his face getting ashen. I, totally clueles, asked again "can you please tell me the sex of my babay?"

And she asks, do you want to use the rest room. I still had no clue something was amiss. Well...restroom, of couse. And apparently they told my husband when I was in. I came out. She said, your doctor is waiting to see you in her room. What?? Why? We do not even have an appointment today. We came in for an ultrasound. Well my husband hushes me and takes me by hand. Very unusual for him to hold my hand in public back then. I still had no clue. And I go to the doctor's office. Doctor hugs me. Tells me my baby is dead in womb. Well....

Nine years later and two blessings after, I still have a lingering question that disturbs my sleep especially on Dec 9th...why?

1 comment:

Anjali said...

Kavi,remember god is great and there was definitely a reason behind what happened. It is easy for me to say that but think about HIM in times like these and you will really find immense strength. I hope you are doing ok!

Love and hugs
anj