Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Destiny - Want vs Have

I strongly believe in destiny. That said, I am not the type to take the back seat and blame the driver for going in the wrong direction. I do plan my destination. Plan my route. And work on my route to reach the destination. But sometimes, though we work hard on keeping on the right track, our destination may be different from what we planned for. If I reach such a destination that I did not envision for myself, I always try to see how/what I can learn, enjoy, give or take from that destination. And I truly believe no one can take away what we do with what we have. Also what is ours will definitely be ours. We only need to look for and recognize it when it comes to us.

Why this now? I was talking to my friend this morning. She was very sad and upset over something that did not happen the way it should have happened. She had done everything she has to, follow all the rules and submitted the paperwork. Took a break, nice family vacation. And the rules changed. her papers are rejected. I understand her frustration. It is of course sad. Getting out of that frustration is easier said than done. But I just hate that "Why should it happen to me?" attitude. This self pity paves way only to more self pity and affects positive productivity.

Well it happened. First accept what happened. Then think how you can work on changing the situation. Explore other possibilities of making the situation work for you. If, after trying all avenues possible, a change seems absolutely impossible, just accept it. Life will not always give us what we want. And that is fair. if we start getting everything we want...well I am at a loss to think about the consequences to humanity. There will be no end to the outrageous atrocities in the human world. That is why we sometimes do not get what we strongly believe we deserve.

That said, my grandma used to tell me two of these Indian proverbs that roughly translated sound like these - "For every goat, God measures the length of its tail". "Even if you apply Castor oil all over and roll on the sand, only those destined to stick on you will stick on you" etc.

While I work hard to reach my destination, I am mindful of my journey, detours and deviations. If one of my paths are closed, I am sure there will be a detour. Just make sure to follow what is available and give your 100% to whatever path you choose. You will be where you have to be. The "where you have to be" and "where you want to be" might slightly differ from each other. But if you accept the have, the want will cease to exist. When want ceases to exist - life is filled with peaceful contentment.

No comments: