Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Aspirations - Our kids - Any idea?

My friend today suggested may be I am getting old as I always seem to contemplate on serious stuff. I really do not want to comment on it :). Well may be being a mom in an all competitive world has a hand in making me serious? Seriouly - oops there I go again :) I do love to laugh a lot and can never pass a chance to laugh out loud like reading Dubukku's blogs or watching a funny AFV etc. Still this news article in today's yahoo kindled my thoughts - well as you guessed it, fears as a mother.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090526/ap_en_tv/us_spelling_bee_indian_neurosurgeons

6 Indian American kids in the past 10 years have become spelling bee champions. Wow a great achievement indeed. I am always amazed at the spelling bee contest so much so that I stopped watching that from last year. I really could not bring myself to understand the total uncanny perception these wonder kids have about a the spelling. (I must confess - I do depend a lot on spell check, auto correct etc etc for my spellings).

Now three spelling bee champions want to become neurosurgeons. They are mostly 5th and 6th graders. But still they have their future all mapped out to the finest career choice. God Bless them.

Going a little bit backward in my meory lane, I remember my son wanting to be a Trash truck Driver, Mail man, Astronaut, and while visiting in Monerey Bay Aquarium, he really really wanted to be a diver/fish feeder in the acquarium. After listening to a few more careers he wanted to choose, I got too worried and stopped asking him about it.

I don't know if my kids ever step on the spelling bee contest podium - not that I wish for - but I wonder what would be their career choices a few years from now.

No comments: