Friday, May 8, 2009

NBA players, the modern day Gladiators?

How physical is too physical in the Basketball game? - The players are getting too physical in the 2nd round of play offs. I am not a great game watcher, but would love to watch the game, if Lakers play whenever possible with my son and husband - both Lakers fanatics. My son, an aspiring basketball player, though only 6 years old - is all too familiar with teams, kind of fouls, and other intricate nuances of the game, I am still working on to decipher.

Yesterday it was Derek Fisher. He elbowed another Rockets player for standing behind him and got suspended in today's game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y8CzEjNVJw

Today its a Rockets player, Artest, desperate of their loss pushed Pau Gasol down. Another Flagrant foul. Though Kobe and my pro people think this today's foul is not flagrant, that player seems to face suspension for the next game. http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NBA&id=620&line=115517&spln=1

I am kind of reminded of Gladiator's and Russel Crowe - you know the only Gladiator face I could relate to :). In ancient Rome, the all too powerful Kings had colosseum and Gladiators to entertain the public and to punish those the Kings wanted to punish. The Gladiator game seemed to have attracted huge mass and was very cruelly physical.

In today's modern sophisticated world, we ofcourse cannot have Gladiators. But we all still might have our barbaric past hidden somehwere in our Freudian SuperEgo. I guess thats why we have these oh so physical NBA's NFL's etc etc. I am NOT trying to demean the importance of sports and team work. But what gets to me is the hidden barbarism. The players pushing each other so hard to win a title. The coaches not letting a seriously hurt player rest, like Yao Ming's coach did today. How much it would have hurt Yao's parent to see their son hop through the court in pain. His knee was badly hurt, even I could descern it on screen.

My son does love basketball and dreams big to be on Lakers team and play in NBA. But as a mom would I want my son to be there? I don't know.

No comments: